Thursday, November 3, 2011

Christmas In A Box


No matter where you are in the world, what your age is, your gender, or your nationality, you still enjoy the satisfaction of physically opening a box. Well, in the Philippines there is a tradition where a family in the Philippines receives a balikbayan box from their family from the states. So,what’s so special about a box? “What matters is what’s inside”, ever heard of that expression? It’s very true because who ever it may be, once you cut the tape, open the left side of the flap then the right side, your world begins to brighten. It starts to slow down, your heart begins to throb, your stomach begins to flutter, and for that moment you forget all the negative, all your problems...for that moment there’s an unspoken bond between you and that box. Don’t get me wrong, as my sister would say, it’s not all about material things like the Kardashians, that unspoken bond is more between you and the giver. It’s more about the satisfaction of being remembered and being loved. 
These 18 X 18 X 24 boxes that way around 100-200 lbs mean much more to the families in the Philippines then they do in the states. Today I observed my mom pack a balikbayan box and inside lay several clothes, food, toys, movies, and my mom was just adding candies from yesterdays venture of acceptable begging American’s call Halloween. There I was, watching her pack all of these items and asking myself, “Why can’t they just get that there?” Being the oblivious person that I am, I asked my mom what the point of these boxes were. She called them, “Christmas In A Box.” appropriately named. My mom sends them once a year during October and fills them with items that are not available or too expansive in the Philippines. She also includes christmas gifts, and clothes for the new borns. Here in the states we tend to take things for granted. Having food in the pantry is normal, not having food in the pantry is abnormal. Having these technological gadgets is to be expected. The average family in the states own at least two television sets in their home. 
Tell me, why would I cherish Vienna Sausages, I can get them anytime. Or what about my Crest: Whitening toothpaste, Dove soap or biscotti from Costco. What I didn’t notice until today, is that I am very blessed to have the opportunity to have variety. I never realized how many products the US receives just for toothpaste. It’s like choosing what ice cream flavor I want from Baskin Robins. In the Philippines, especially the province where my mother’s family lives, don’t have the luxury of variety. It’s either Sarsi or Royal. 
Ironically, there is much more to this box. Although it’s filled with clothes, food, toys, what have you the most important thing is something you can’t buy, you can’t wrap, something you can’t weigh. it’s an immeasurable amount of endless love that is oozing out of the box.  

No comments:

Post a Comment